Okra also known as lady finger, is a widely consumed vegetable in India. It is high in Fiber, Vitamin C and Folate contents. It is a good anti oxidant and good source of essential calcium and potassium.
Okra is a staple food in my household and I love its both version as widely cooked in my family i.e. roasted and stuffed. Off late I got little bored with the versions and thought of doing a twist in the way it is cooked at our home.I call it "Adding #Glamour to Bhindi". Yes. Okra is often considered as regular food in our homes so much that rarely do you see it being served at our parties. Here's adding a little glamour, a little new flavors and a dash of little #Lifestyle to the very homely ladyfingers.
Crispy Fried Okra
- A bowl of fresh Okra washed and wiped with a dry cotton cloth
- 1 Onion- peeled and sliced thin & long
- 1 Red Tomato, washed and sliced in thin, long, slender pieces sans the pulp
- Indian Spices like- Roasted Coriander Powder [1/3 tea spoon], Garam Masala powder, Dried red chill powder, Turmeric powder, Amchur powder [1 teaspoon each] and Salt as per taste
- Cooking Oil to fry
Total Cooking Time: 15-25 mins
- Cut off the crown and bottom of lady fingers and slit it into thin, long pieces
- Take the oil of your choice and heat it in a deep wok
- Once the oil is hot, carefully add sliced okra in it and deep fry it for a minute. Do ensure that its not raw yet retain the green color
- Remove the fried Okra into a kitchen towel to wipe off the excess oil
- Take a mixing bowl, add the fried okra in it along with all the spices as mentioned above along with sliced onions, tomatoes and toss
- Transfer into serving bowl and if required a dash of lemon and serve
- You can garnish it with a dash of lemon juice or add thin slices of raw mango [half dried] and toss
- You can chose to use a little sun dried tomatoes instead of fresh tomato. I chose Fresh Tomato as a healthy option to combat the oil in fried Okra. Ensure that u add fresh tomatoes immediately before serving so it doesn't turn saggy, soaky, spoiling the crunchiness of Okra
Your "Crispy Fried Okra with Tomato is ready to eat. I l eat my Okra with daal-chawal [steam rice & Pulse] serve this with hot steamed Rice and Yellow Daal [ my comfort food anytime].
I recommend this dish to all who likes adding variety to their food without playing too much with health quotient, Cooking Newbies, Mothers who find making their children lady finger difficult than climbing K2 and all food lovers esp Vegetarians who want to add an exotic element to their veg food.
Let me know if you tried this recipe and how was your experience. To share the picture with me.
I am also at Instagram
Stay tune to this page for more interesting recipes, pictures and updates on Food, Fashion & Lifestyle! Hasta Leugo!