We often talk about food pairing with wine and alcohol and how we use wines in certain dishes to add a flavor. Experts suggest that a lot of cooking can be done with whiskey too..Surprised? Isn't it? well yes. Remember when I talked about the finest books on whiskey, I suggested some book with over 40+ suggested recipe from the chef.
When I was asked to write about or rather say pair a dessert with whiskey, the Indian inside me shouted pronto- Gulab Jamuns to pair with the smoky flavor of Black Dog Triple Gold Reserve Scotch whiskey. My love for Rabri [ A milk based sweet] however, restrained me from pairing it with whisky as it contains milk and that may not be a great Idea that goes with whiskey.
While I ain't no expert baker, I barely baked anything except few cookies and sponge cakes with my mom and I was in no mood to google up and pick a recipe from there and reproduce it exactly. I rather tried to recall a dessert that I long made with Marie biscuits, which my flatmates gobbled faster than the tickets sold at irctc counters.
1/2 cup crushed walnuts, Cashew nuts
1/2 cup crunchy oats
2-3 Marie biscuits broken in small pieces
1 cup fresh cream- whipped
2 Tbsp honey- warm
1 cup assorted berries like Strawberries, Blackberries, raspberries etc
5-6 spoons of Black Dog Triple Gold Reserve Whisky
A little sugar to sprinkle
- Heat a flat pan or wok and add the nuts and oats in almost equal quantity
- Roast it for few seconds and then add a spoon of butter in it and mix and cook till they are roasted and turns a shade darker but not burnt
- Take off the pan and allow the toasted nuts to cool for some time.
- Take a bowl, add the whipped cream, honey, and TGR whiskey and blend it properly.
- Take a serving glass. I had taken short tulip glasses here. Start layering it with first, crushed Marie biscuits and then cream and then fruits and cream and followed by roasted nuts.
- Refrigerate it for some time and serve cold.
- Optionally you can keep the cream and fruits in the freezer to chill and then when you need to serve, start making the layers in a glass to ensure that the Marie biscuits stay crunchy at the bottom.
- Add a slit cherry on top and serve
Ummm..it is delicious!
Disclaimer- This post is for the people age 25 years or above